To help us better understand the challenges faced by many people in the geoscience community, we ran a survey asking people about their experiences with equality, diversity, and inclusion related topics. We used the main results of this survey to help us structure an online, free conference, that ran over the 15/16th of December.
The conference had 3 sessions (talks and panel discussions) and a workshop focusing on unconscious bias. The EDIG project had 14 supporting partners, with the workshop sponsored by iCRAG and the Institute of Geologists of Ireland (IGI).
The conference programme is outlined below and recordings of most talks and discussions are available on our YouTube channel, here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTSbo2wJxJxq6XQeaegqLuRg93JMbgU72
EDIG Conference Programme
Session 1: Where have we come from?
The schedule of talks for Session 1 are listed below (times are shown in GMT).
- 12.00 pm. Launch of the EDIG conference (Prof. Murray Hitzman).
- 12.05 pm. Background to EDIG: Who we are (Aileen Doran).
- 12.15 pm. EDIG survey results summary (Dr. Jess Franklin).
- 12.30 pm. Introduction to session 1 (Dr. Fergus McAuliffe)
- 12.40 pm. Geoscience and the questions of inclusivity: A historical perspective (Prof. Pratik Chakrabarti).
- 12.55 pm. 50 years in geo. How far we’ve come & how far we need to go (Prof. Suzanne O’Connell).
- 1.10 pm. Under-represented, not rare: We are here (Dr. Hendratta Ali).
- 1.25 pm. Translating lived experiences and why this matters (Nicole Doucette).
- 1.40 pm. Stronger together (title to be confirmed) (Dr. Rocío Caballero-Gill).
- 1.55 pm. Panel discussion.
- 2.30 pm. End of session 1.
Session 2: Where are we now?
The schedule of talks for Session 2 are listed below (times are shown in GMT).
- 3.00 pm. Introduction to session 2 (Hazel Gibson).
- 3.10 pm. Challenging inappropriate workplace behaviours as allies & bystanders for a safe, respectful & inclusive workplaces (Susan Lomas).
- 3.20 pm. Race and racism: underrepresented groups in geoscience (Dr. Kuheli Dutt).
- 3.30 pm. Disability/ableism including mental health (Martin Griffin).
- 3.40 pm. Navigating and succeeding in rocky spaces with a brown face (Dr. Anjana Khatwa).
- 3.50 pm. Socio-economic status & mental health (Dr. Brooke Johnson).
- 4.00 pm. LGBTQ+ (Dr Craig Poku)
- 4.10 pm. Intersectionality of challenges (title to be confirmed) (Alejandra Gomez Correa).
- 4.20 pm. Panel discussion.
- 5.00 pm. End of session 2.
Session 3: Where are we going?
The schedule of talks for Session 3 are listed below (times are shown in GMT).
- 12.00 pm. EDIG Day 2 introduction (Dr. Anna Bidgood).
- 12.10 pm. Introduction by session chair (Dr. Sarah Gordon).
- 12.20 pm. Early career professional: Shaping the future of geoscience (Lucy Crane).
- 12.30 pm. Inclusive academia: A pipeline to industry (Prof. Ben Mapani).
- 12.40 pm. Reporting (Dimitra Christakou).
- 12.50 pm. An audit for action: BAME representation in the geosciences (Ben Fernando).
- 1.00 pm. Six simple steps to make fieldwork more accessible and inclusive (Anya Lawrence).
- 1.10 pm. Panel discussion.
- 2.00 pm. End of conference wrap up and future steps closing remarks (Aileen Doran).
The EDIG Team
A time to listen, learn, and act.