The conference will be run over 2 days, with 3 sessions (talks and panel discussions) and a workshop focusing on unconscious bias. Speakers will be announced shortly.
Session 1 (12.00 pm GMT; 2 hours 30 min): This will focus on a broad look of where we have come from and how we all need to come together to make geoscience more accessible. We will also be presenting a summary of our survey results.
Session 2 (15.00 pm GMT; 2 hours): This session will focus on the specific challenges and barriers to access that many groups experience.
Session 3 (12.00 pm GMT; 2 hours): The final session will look at what is being done to promote inclusion and remove barriers, how we can improve retention, and discuss challenges faced by early career geoscientists.
EDIG Conference Programme
Session 1: Where have we come from?
The schedule of talks for Session 1 are listed below (times are shown in GMT).
- 12.00 pm. Launch of the EDIG conference (Prof. Murray Hitzman).
- 12.05 pm. Background to EDIG: Who we are (Aileen Doran).
- 12.15 pm. EDIG survey results summary (Dr. Jess Franklin).
- 12.30 pm. Introduction to session 1 (Dr. Fergus McAuliffe)
- 12.40 pm. Geoscience and the questions of inclusivity: A historical perspective (Prof. Pratik Chakrabarti).
- 12.55 pm. 50 years in geo. How far we’ve come & how far we need to go (Prof. Suzanne O’Connell).
- 1.10 pm. Under-represented, not rare: We are here (Dr. Hendratta Ali).
- 1.25 pm. Translating lived experiences and why this matters (Nicole Doucette).
- 1.40 pm. Stronger together (title to be confirmed) (Dr. Rocío Caballero-Gill).
- 1.55 pm. Panel discussion.
- 2.30 pm. End of session 1.
Session 2: Where are we now?
The schedule of talks for Session 2 are listed below (times are shown in GMT).
- 3.00 pm. Introduction to session 2 (Hazel Gibson).
- 3.10 pm. Challenging inappropriate workplace behaviours as allies & bystanders for a safe, respectful & inclusive workplaces (Susan Lomas).
- 3.20 pm. Race and racism: underrepresented groups in geoscience (Dr. Kuheli Dutt).
- 3.30 pm. Disability/ableism including mental health (Martin Griffen).
- 3.40 pm. Navigating and succeeding in rocky spaces with a brown face (Dr. Anjana Khatwa).
- 3.50 pm. Socio-economic status & mental health (title to be confirmed) (Dr. Brooke Johnson).
- 4.00 pm. LGBTQ+ (to be confirmed)
- 4.10 pm. Intersectionality of challenges (title to be confirmed) (Alejandra Gomez Correa).
- 4.20 pm. Panel discussion.
- 5.00 pm. End of session 2.
Session 3: Where are we going?
The schedule of talks for Session 3 are listed below (times are shown in GMT).
- 12.00 pm. EDIG Day 2 introduction (Dr. Anna Bidgood).
- 12.10 pm. Introduction by session chair (Dr. Sarah Gordon).
- 12.20 pm. Early career professional: Shaping the future of geoscience (Lucy Crane).
- 12.30 pm. Inclusive academia: A pipeline to industry (Prof. Ben Mapani).
- 12.40 pm. Accountability in reporting (to be confirmed).
- 12.50 pm. An audit for action: BAME representation in the geosciences (Ben Fernando).
- 1.00 pm. Six simple steps to make fieldwork more accessible and inclusive (Anya Lawrence).
- 1.10 pm. Panel discussion.
- 2.00 pm. End of conference wrap up and future steps closing remarks (Aileen Doran).
To register, visit our eventbrite page here.
The EDIG Team
A time to listen, learn, and act