Project title: Re-Os Geochronology
Researcher: Dr. Danny Hnatyshin
- Enable iCRAG the capability to do full-time in-house rhenium-osmium (Re-Os) research.
- Determine the age of ore deposits and organic sediments from Ireland, Europe, and Africa
- Determine what minerals are useful to pursue Re-Os research
- Pyrite/Molybdenite Re-Os geochronology should be able to precisely date sulfide mineral deposits to the level required to answer more in-depth research questions.
- Organic rich shales can be dated to provide a better constraint on the age of important sediments.
- Determine the spatial-temporal distribution of presumed related ores in Ireland, Europe, and Africa.
- Determine the link between igneous activity and Zn-Pb ores in Ireland.
- Clear up the geochronology debate in the Central African Copperbelt.
- Provide new stratigraphic ages in Ireland and the Central African Copperbelt.